Surviving Mealtime with New Dentures
Today’s affordable quality dentures let you reclaim your smile; all you need is access to an affordable dentist in Orlando. While your experience with dentures will be positive, some temporary adjustments are usually necessary when you first start wearing them. Whether you get a single denture implant or a full set of dentures, one of your first big challenges will be learning how to eat. It may feel strange to bite and chew, and denture slippage while eating is a common complaint. The following suggestions can help.
Mealtime Tips for New Denture Wearers
- Eat soft foods like yogurt, pudding, chopped or stewed meats, fish, eggs, and soft cheeses while you are getting used to your dentures.
- When you’re ready to add chewier or harder foods, cut them into very small pieces, and eat slowly.
- When you’re ready to try eating corn on the cob or steak, consider using a denture adhesive to help keep your dentures more secure.
- Don’t worry if your sense of taste is not as sharp as before; this is normal. Because your mind is overwhelmed by the new sensations of wearing dentures, it may seem that food has lost its flavor. As you become accustomed to your dentures, your taste buds will start working again.
- To even out the pressure on your dentures and reduce the risk of slippage, chew half of the food in your mouth on the back-left side of your teeth and half on the back-right side.
- To avoid sensitivity problems, don’t consume extremely hot or cold foods or beverages at first.
- While wearing dentures, your mouth is less sensitive to heat and cold. To avoid burning your mouth or throat, eat carefully, and test the temperature of food with your fingers first if you’re not sure how hot it is.
- If you have a denture implant, avoid eating tough or crunchy foods like nuts or popcorn until your mouth has healed.
To get the dental care you deserve from an affordable dentist in Orlando, call Advanced Dental Care of Orlando today at (407) 545-3810 or make an appointment.
Advanced Dental Care offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Orlando. With 21 affiliated practices throughout Florida, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Advanced Dental Care of Orlando, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Advanced Dental Care of Orlando.