Preventing Tooth Decay
Tooth decay affects millions of Americans—it is the second most common health condition in the United States. Tooth decay destroys the tooth structure, sometimes reaching to the deepest layers of tooth. Cavities are not only a sign of poor dental care, but they can also be an early indicator of disease, such as lung or heart disease and diabetes. Proper dental care is essential to a beautiful smile and lifelong health. Proper basic dental care habits and routine visits to your dentist in Orlando can help in preventing tooth decay, gum disease, and protect your total wellness. Use this guide to keep your teeth, gums, and mouth clean and healthy.
Protect the health of your teeth and your body with these tips for preventing tooth decay and gum disease:
- Brush your teeth twice a day with an American Dental Association-recommended fluoride toothpaste. For improved outcomes, brush after every meal and snack.
- Use dental floss at least once a day to clean between teeth.
- Choose foods that are nutritious and tooth friendly. Cheese, fruits, vegetables, and Greek yogurt are all foods for happy teeth.
- Avoid sugary and starchy foods—sugar molecules feed the harmful bacteria and lead to the creation of acids that erode the teeth.
- Ask your family dentistry practitioner about fluoride treatments for added protection against cavities.
- Dental sealants are a protective covering that your dentist in Orlando can put over gaps and grooves where food and debris can easily get stuck and hide. Sealants last up to ten years and can offer you added protection against tooth decay.
- Drink tap water over bottled water. Most cities add fluoride to the public water supply to remineralize teeth and improve dental outcomes. And, bottled water, aside from being absent of fluoride, has been found in studies to contain dangerous chemicals that can harm your overall health.
- Drink lots of water. Whether it is bottled or from the tap, drinking plenty of water helps rinse the mouth and remove some debris from the teeth. It also encourages the production of saliva, which contains helpful bacteria to further protect the teeth, gums, and mouth.
- Make routine dental appointments a priority. Try to see a skilled, affordable dentist at least twice a year, or more, if recommended, to keep you oral health at its very best.
- Use a mouthwash containing fluoride after every brushing to further prevent the development of cavities.
- Chew on sugarless gum, which contains xylitol—a sugar alcohol known to readily fight harmful bacteria that can reside in the mouth.
To learn about our family dentistry practice in Orlando, call Advanced Dental Care of Orlando today at (407) 545-3810 or make an appointment.
Advanced Dental Care offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Orlando. With 21 affiliated practices throughout Florida, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Advanced Dental Care of Orlando, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Advanced Dental Care of Orlando.