7 Healthy Tips for Teenagers and Their Teeth
During the teen years, life changes rapidly, so it’s common for dental care to be shifted to a back burner. However, as all family dentistry experts know, healthy dental habits are essential in every stage of life. Although it may be challenging to communicate with your teens, you can still find many ways to encourage them to take good care of their teeth and gums. You should also find an affordable dentist in your area, so your family can also receive proper professional dental care.
Here are seven tips to help you encourage good dental care habits, so your teens can keep their healthy smiles for life.
- Remind them to brush and floss daily, and set a good example by doing so yourself. Providing interesting dental care products can encourage compliance.
- Skip the soda. Keep soda and sugary drinks out of the kitchen, and make plain water readily available. To encourage water consumption at school, provide a refillable water bottle with a design they’ll love.
- If your teens play sports, ask an affordable dentist about mouth guards to protect their teeth.
- Keep a close eye on oral piercings; they can become infected. Take your teen to your family dentistry practitioner regularly to make sure tongue or lip piercings are not causing dental problems like chipped teeth.
- Watch out for gum disease. Hormonal changes can increase the risk of gingivitis and periodontitis. If your teen’s gums are bleeding, consult your dentist for treatment options.
- Be aware of your teen’s eating habits and any potential eating disorders like anorexia or bulimia. These disorders cause serious damage to both the body and teeth. If you suspect an eating disorder, get your teen medical and psychological help immediately, and also consult an affordable dentist to determine if any tooth damage has occurred.
- If your teen wears braces, be on the lookout for canker sores and other mouth irritations. Avoiding acidic foods and practicing good dental care can help reduce painful symptoms. If sores persist, consult your family dentistry professional.
To learn about our family dentistry practice in Orlando, call Advanced Dental Care of Orlando today at (407) 545-3810 or make an appointment.
Advanced Dental Care offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Orlando. With 21 affiliated practices throughout Florida, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Advanced Dental Care of Orlando, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Advanced Dental Care of Orlando.