Immediate and Long-Term Care for Chipped Teeth
If you’re unfortunate enough to suffer a chipped tooth, it’s important to know how to handle the situation. In all cases, you should contact an affordable dentist for professional evaluation and treatment. Prompt attention can help you avoid complications like infection and tooth loss. If your tooth breaks, and you have the missing piece, take it to your dentist. Repair may be possible if you act quickly.
At-Home Care for a Chipped Tooth
You can’t repair a broken or chipped tooth at home, but until you can get to the dentist, you can minimize symptoms and prevent complication by following these seven tips:
- If you can’t see your dentist right away, place temporary dental cement on the chipped tooth.
- To relieve pain and help to prevent infection, rinse with warm, salty water.
- To reduce swelling, use an ice pack.
- To stop bleeding, apply pressure with clean gauze.
- To protect your tongue and cheeks, place sugarless gum or dental wax over sharp areas.
- To stop pain, take over-the-counter pain medication.
- Eat soft foods only.
How Dentists Repair Chipped Teeth
- Tiny, superficial chips can be polished to smooth out any jagged edges.
- Chipped molars can be repaired with fillings.
- A better repair solution for front teeth is bonding.
- A crown or cap may be required to repair extensive damage and to prevent further harm.
- Porcelain veneers may be your preferred treatment, but dental insurance does not cover the cost because they are cosmetic.
- If there is extensive damage to the tooth’s pulp, a root canal may be required.
To get the dental care you deserve from an affordable dentist in Orlando, call Advanced Dental Care of Orlando today at (407) 545-3810 or make an appointment.
Advanced Dental Care offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Orlando. With 21 affiliated practices throughout Florida, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Advanced Dental Care of Orlando, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Advanced Dental Care of Orlando.