Good Old Tips to Protect Aging Teeth
As you get older, you don’t want to develop the dental problems that come with aging teeth. Keep your smile at its best with these age-old dental care tactics.
Watch out for Wear and Tear on Teeth
Teeth may be naturally strong, but age and time can take their toll. The result can be tooth enamel erosion, gum recession, root exposure, dental disease, and more. To protect your aging teeth, employ these proven dental care tactics:
- Brush your teeth at least twice a day
- Use a soft-bristled toothbrush and a very gentle touch to avoid damaging your tooth enamel and gums
- Be sure to floss every day
- Try professional or over-the-counter tooth whitening to remove stubborn stains from aging teeth
- Get regular dental check-ups and cleanings from an affordable dentist
- Ask your dentist about having protective varnishes applied to your teeth to prevent further decay and damage
Tips to Banish Dry Mouth
Older adults tend to need more medications, but many of these remedies can cause a problem called dry mouth. In addition to being uncomfortable, a lack of saliva can make it difficult to eat, cause bad breath, and contribute to oral infections. Try these ideas to keep your dry mouth moist:
- Drink more water throughout the day
- Chew sugarless gum to promote saliva production
- Suck on sugarless candies to increase saliva
- Ask your doctor if changing your medications could help
Support Strong Teeth with Superior Oral Hygiene Habits
While healthy teeth are a dental care priority, their strength is also dependent on the health of your gums, jaw, and mouth. These form the foundation for teeth and therefore they must be protected as you age. Did you know that gum disease is the leading cause of tooth loss in older adults? It’s fortunate that gum disease and many other oral problems are treatable at any age, but rather than face those problems at all, it’s better to focus on prevention and protection. And that means maintaining proper at-home dental care and getting regular professional check-ups and cleanings from your affordable dentist to help your smile last for a lifetime.
To get the dental care you deserve from an affordable dentist in Orlando, call Advanced Dental Care of Orlando today at (407) 545-3810 or make an appointment.
Advanced Dental Care offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Orlando. With 21 affiliated practices throughout Florida, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Advanced Dental Care of Orlando, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Advanced Dental Care of Orlando.